.

Here, gathered in our beloved South Dakota, are a few members of our Williamson / Mattson Clan. Charles and Luella are to be blamed (be kind, they didn't know what they were doing). We're generally a happy bunch and somewhat intelligent (notwithstanding our tenuous grasp on reality). I'm also proud to say that most of us still have our teeth.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

George Williamson's Homestead Patent

The Family of George and Margaret Williamson.
Our Great Grandfather William is the first on the back row (L to R).

From the Fortress of Solitude
Pleasant Grove

Hello Williamsons!
Today at the Fortress we're going to look at copies of documents graciously sent by cousin Carol Good Stephenson. In the letter accompanying the documents Carol wrote:
A couple of years ago I requested the file for George Williamson's Dakota Territory Homestead Patent from the National Archives. I had taken a class at our community college which showed me how to do that. I thought you might like to read the pages too.
The Homestead Patent is below. Please remember to click on the documents to enlarge. We begin with the announcement in the newspaper. Notice it says "Dakota Territory". South Dakota was made a State in 1889. Williamsons have therefore been a part of South Dakota's history since before Statehood.

And now the Patent. This document was written in George Matthew Williamson's own hand. As a teacher let me say that I'm impressed with his penmanship.




I'd like to thank Carol for sending the this document of family history. If you have photographs or documents relating to family history please send me copies for posting (or have someone that knows computers scan the documents and send the files).

Simply,
Victor

1 comment:

  1. I am writing this as my husband Louis C. Martin's mother was Vennie Williamson and her husband's name was George. My daughters, Linda C.Martin Ames and Denice A. Martin Norman would have some of the Wiliamson blood in them,. It seems that all of the Wiliamson's that I knew in Spearfish and Deadwood are all gone and I believe that Teresa Martin Madison Barber was the last. Teresa was the daughter of Vennie as well 2 others son's besides Louis was Tracy Martin and Virgil Martin.

    ReplyDelete