.

Here, gathered in our beloved South Dakota, are a few members of our Williamson / Mattson Clan. Charles and Luella are to be blamed (be kind, they didn't know what they were doing). We're generally a happy bunch and somewhat intelligent (notwithstanding our tenuous grasp on reality). I'm also proud to say that most of us still have our teeth.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Collection of Photos from our Life at Canyon Lake. 1970's 80's.

From the Fortress of Solitude
Pleasant Grove

Hello All,
It's been a while since our last digital reunion.  I blame the weather.  The dark and dismal days of winter were not conducive to family history research.  I got home from school and immediately faced a dilemma.  On the left of my easy chair was my 65 inch window on the world, and to my right - that corner of the great hall stacked with boxes of old family photos and papers and documents by the ream.  It would have taken the will power of a Saint to make that right turn.

Today's weather was mild and sunny, so I decided to post a few pictures from the boxes and reduce the overall total in the eternal holding pattern over the document scanner.  Before doing so, I had to go to City Creek Mall in Salt Lake to purchase a long promised and seriously late and nearly forgotten Christmas present.  Mom called and asked if I was doing anything so I decided to take her along.  It would be an adventure.  Instead of driving, I thought of taking the train.  Mom had that prison pallor, gaunt expression about her when she got into the Battlestar.  I could see why she wanted to get out.  She needed a bit of sun and some fresh air.

The trip was uneventful.  The Frontrunner offers a nice, smooth ride for a great price.  I was impressed and think I'll make the train my official mode of transport whenever I go to downtown Salt Lake.

Mom handled the train well, except for the loading and unloading.  My challenge was getting  her across the threshold and into a seat before the carriage lurched forward.  Stepping from the platform and into the train was 'one small step for man, and one GIANT leap for an old lady'.  Mom acted like she was about to long jump across the Grand Canyon as she nervous kicked out her leg to span the 3 inches or so seperating the train from the platform.  I wanted to shout, "Old Lady, Clear the Way!" as she kicked out and lunged forward while grasping for anything semi stable, like my arm, shirt and belt.  I had this fear the automatic doors would close on her leg and arm so I kept pushing the wheelchair door button hoping that would buy us a bit more time.  "I should have brought my cane," she repeated more than once.  All in all, it was a good day out.

Family Photos from Our Days at 
Canyon Lake.  1970's and 80's

 The Kevin Williamson Collection.


I believe this is Kevin's 6th Grade photo from Canyon Lake Elementary 1972.
I posted it because of the hair.  Is it me, or does it look like Mom 
had some trouble cutting his bangs?


 Kevin's baseball team.  I wondered why their team photo was taken in front of the McDonald's 
where I made my small fortune (and I mean small) during my high school years.  Then I read the name of the team and it all became clear.  Kevin is on the back row, middle.





Kevin gave up baseball when he got older and took up snake charming instead.
After several trips to the emergency room, he gave up that career path for 
another form of snake charming - managing newly discovered bands.


 
Kevin, I believe taken during his senior year at Steven's High School in Rapid City.  He looks like he could use a few dozen of those Big Macs from his earlier years playing baseball for McDonalds.

The Janice Williamson Collection


Janice's 5th (?) grade photo, taken at Canyon Lake Elementary in the early 1970's.


Janice's 6th Grade photo, taken at Canyon Lake Elementary.  
She blossomed early.  She took after her mother, who was nearly
7 feet tall by the time she entered the 7th Grade back in the day :)


Janice again.  I'm wondering why the photographer blurred the photo.  Regardless, 
I'm sure she gave many a junior high boy something to stare at  :) 

The Jilane Williamson Collection


I thought of leaving Jilane out of this post.  She gets so much attention as it is.  I changed my mind when I saw this photo and decided to include it for history's sake. Besides,  I knew her kids would get a kick out of seeing their mother in the fashions of the day.  

The Jon Williamson Collection



Jon Williamson.  I'm thinking 6th Grade, but he might be older.  Jon is Janice's twin.






Jon with his baseball team.  Jon is standing next to the kid his hat.

Jon with his prom(?) date.
Jon had no problem getting women.  
Getting the grades was an entirely different matter altogether!


The Lisa Williamson Collection



Little Yellow Lisa


A little older Lisa. 
I scanned this photo and noticed that little something on Lisa's nose.
"No, it couldn't be.  Could it?"  I thought.
So I zoomed in to take a look...



Well, it could be a spot on the photo.  Or.....
I decide to spare Lisa the embarrasement, so I decided to use my master skills as a Photoshop
expert and fix the problem.  What do you think?







Lisa liked to play softball



 Lisa is the second from the left on the middle row.     

No comments:

Post a Comment