Hello to All,
Once again I'm at the computer and happy to introduce you to more of our ancestors. Tonight's information for our digital reunion comes from Brent Heeren of Toledo, Iowa, a cousin on the Victor side of our family. Brent and I have been in contact as we both try to push the boundary and learn more about the Victor family. Brent received the information below from another cousin, Rob Livingston. This information presented tonight comes from the the Bible of Elijah Victor Sr. The rest of the information came from census records and the death index. Thanks to both gentlemen.
First, the Relationship Chart.
We begin tonight by meeting our 4th Great Grandfather, Magor Victor. I'm amused by his first name. Have you ever heard of anyone named Magor? Perhaps you'd like to name a member of your family after him. Yes, I doubt that will happen. You know, odd names like Magor can help in the search for family, so it has its advantages.
According the Victor family bible, our 3rd Great Grandfather, Elijah Victor was born to Magor and his wife on January 6, 1785. Elijah had the following brothers and sisters:
- September 6, 1789, William G. Victor son of Magor is born. William married Marth(a) February 15, 1835. William died July 8, 1841.
- September 17, 1787, Henry Victor, son of Magor is born. Henry died April 8, 1808.
- March 22, 1791, Sarah Victor daughter of Magor is born. Sarah died February 27, (1811?), From the Holy Bible of Elijah Sr.: Sarah Victor married John Grure April 30, 1846.
- April 18, 1820 Magor died at age 64
In the 1820 Census: Elijah Victor lived at the following location: Township: North West Fork Hundred, County: Sussex, State: Delaware.
- January 6, 1785, Elijah Victor, son of Magor is born.
- February 21, 1811, Elijah Victor married Unicy.
- July 30, 1812, Nancy Victor daughter of Elijah and Unicy is born. Nancy died July 21 1820.
- July 29, 1814, Daniel Victor is born, Daniel died: November 5, 1815.
- February 6, 1817, Mary Victor is born. Mary married Peter Snider December 17, 1835. Mary died April 5, 1852.
- February 18, 1819, Whitty Victor is born. Whitty was married November 6, 1845. Married Nancy Morris November 6, 1846.
- October 8, 1821, William Victor is born. William married Sila Jones July 14, 1847.
- July 6, 1823, Elvara Victor is born. Elvara married William Brown September 2, 1845.
- June 5, 1825, Unicy Victor is born. Unicy died November 25, 1826.
- February 24, 1826, Marriage of Elijah Victor to Elizabeth Hollis (Elijah’s second wife) in Sussex, Delaware.
According to the Family History Library, microfilm reference number: 0006422.
Elizabeth Hollis married Elijah Victor a carpenter and widower who then took the family to Shelby, Indiana. Elizabeth’s previous husband, Eli Hollis of Sussex County, Delaware, died in some mishap with his son, possibly killed by Indians. Elizabeth died in Shelby County and Elijah remarried to Mary Young, his third wife. This date is in question with the following date taken from the Victor Family Bible: Elijah Victor and Eliza (Elizabeth), his second wife, married February 24, 1828. Now there is a bit of a problem with the information given. According to the records, Elijah married Elizabeth while Unicy was alive. Unicy Victor died on 22 October 1827. This is after Elijay marries his second wife Elizabeth.
In the 1830 Census we find Elizah “Elijah” Victor living in Township: Sugar Creek, County: Shelby, State: Indiana.
Now, more dates of interest. Elizabeth (Elijah's second wife) died on April 23, 1836
April 27, 1837, Elijah Victor married Mary Young (Elijah’s third wife), in Johnson County. Their Marriage ended in divorce in 1846. Mary might have died in 1858. Our 3rd Great Grandfather Elijah married for the forth time to Sarah Newton in 1859.
It appears the divorce was not a good one. In a court document dated February 23, 1846, Filed, with the State of Indiana we have a suit (The State of Indiana v. Elijah Victor). According to the documents, Elijah Victor late of Hendricks Township has deserted, abandoned, and separated himself from Mary Victor. In doing so, she has been left in a destitute situation and without the means of Support and & maintenance.
In the 1850 Census we find Elijah Victor, Age: 65 living in Shelbyville, Shelby, Indiana.
It appears Grandpa Elijah was a fit man. On August 10, 1854 there is a report that
Elijah Victor of Shelbyville was involved in an altercation with three Germans at a brickyard east of town in which one German was killed and one wounded.” *Note: Elijah would have been 69 years old at the time.November 10, 1859, Elijah Victor married Sarah Newton (Elijah’s fourth wife) in Shelby County, Indiana *Indiana Marriage Collection 1800-1941. Notes: He is listed as age 75, and is living with his fourth wife, Sarah, in Shelbyville on the 1860 census.
And that's it for tonight. I'd love to learn more about that altercation with three Germans in the brickyard. There is a story there. Perhaps it may be found in a newspaper from that time. I'll keep looking.