.

Here, gathered in our beloved South Dakota, are a few members of our Williamson / Mattson Clan. Charles and Luella are to be blamed (be kind, they didn't know what they were doing). We're generally a happy bunch and somewhat intelligent (notwithstanding our tenuous grasp on reality). I'm also proud to say that most of us still have our teeth.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

We Have a Story to Tell.


From the Fortress of Solitude
Pleasant Grove

I’d like to say that our family story started with a log cabin in the back woods of Kentucky or a canvas tent in the 1930’s on some dusty prairie in the Westerns of South Dakota. All families would like to trace their roots to such humble beginnings. But if I did, it would be a lie. I could attempt to spin a yarn so sad that Heaven's angels would weep at its telling. But if I did, it would also be a lie. So, how do I start a manuscript detailing the life and times of a seemingly average, run of the mill, Dakota family?

Carefully, very carefully. We are all strong personalities in this family called Williamson. Some might react explosively if their portrait was painted in harsh oils. Others might seek to steal the brush from my hand if I don't paint them in forgiving colors, leaving all blemishes and flaws out of sight and therefore out of history.

Let me assure everyone that I understand clearly the fact that this family is, like the Poppins of England, Practically Perfect in Every Way. Of course, the devil is in the details....... and in the word ‘Practically‘ ;)

I believe the solution is to simply paint what I’m told, what I saw, what I see, and what I shall see. I elect myself "filter" - he who focuses the wizardry of words onto this large blank digital canvas. All I ask from my siblings, nephews, nieces and cousins is your assistance in the form of digital scans of our family pictures from our times together at the places we called home since the founding of our family that June day in 1956:
  1. A small apartment at 17 Lazale St, Sturgis.
  2. A small upstairs apartment in Sidney, Montana.
  3. A dry parked trailer in Glascow, Montana.
  4. A trailer parked behind the Mattson home at 365 5th Street, Spearfish.
  5. A trailer parked at Piedmont's Trailer Park.
  6. A duplex at 39 East Signal Drive, Rapid City.
  7. A rented home at 210 North 42nd Street, Rapid City.
  8. And finally our home at 2214 38th Street, Rapid City.
So, I’ve the oils at hand and the brushes at the ready. Enya plays on the stereo. A gentle snow hopes to steal away my attention, but try as it does, it shall not. I’m here, able and willing.

Shall we tell the story of our Dakota Family?

Simply,
Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment